Deepayan/Uberhero/Confidence Man/Cleo/Eric/other personalities to be added later
Monday, January 29, 2007
  Give fate a chance
Yeah, you're just the same the likes of you,
Oh I've set it off again now,
Maybe my mistake for judging you,
Maybe now I'll say I'm wrong
- Sorry Again, Tomi Swick

I wonder sometimes about the concept of fate. I've seen quite a few examples of it myself to not dismiss it completely, but what exactly is the reasoning behind it? I encountered it again over hte last week. On Thursday, we saw bits and pieces of North Country in our Law class, enough to get me intrigued to see the whole thing. (Looking up the bio, I noticed it was largely passed up by award shows, and if Hotel Rwanda is any indication, the losing films are usually better than the winning ones. Which, by the way, if you think Million Dollar Baby was the better movie, please share why)
But I digress. I saw parts of North Country in my law class on Thursday. On friday, I got word from my library that a hold request I had put in had arrived. Now, this arrived at the location close to my house, where I had routed all the hold requests I put during the christmas break. I have since routed all holds to a location closer to Humber that falls on my route. So anyway, this hold comes into my old location. I dropped by there today to pick up my hold and as I'm on my way out (it was Wham Bam Thank you Ma'am; it had to be, I was timing it to catch a bus) when I see one DVD on display near the exit. Guess which one it is? Yep. North Country.
Now I know the argument against fate is that it is nothing more than a series of coincidences, but I have trouble swallowing that concept. I don't believe it's God's hand guiding our life either (God wants me to see North Country? Really? That is the high-priority item on his agenda right now?) but I do think there is some science behind fate. It may be an obscure calculus formula that no human will be able to truly comprehend, but it's there. Like I say, science is perfect; it's our understanding of science that's lacking. I think fate falls in the category of unknown science. There's a series of books by Isaac Asimov, called the Foundation series, where a scientist named Hari Seldon develops a formula that accurately predicts civilization's actions for a great number of years, including otherwise unforseen calamities and windfalls and the like (excellent series, by the way, but it is Asimov, so you expect no less). I think there is, in real life, a similar formula that can predict an individual's actions. I wonder if we'll ever crack it. It's obviously a secondary priority to, you know, curing cancer and showing people Britney Spears' crotch (I'm not sure which one of those is higher priority, though) but it'll be interesting to see if anyone ever cracks that code. Of course, the science vs. religion debate that'll spout over that is something I'm equally not looking forward to.
And there goes the fat lady, so that's all for tonight.
 
Comments:
fate is a terribly interesting concept...like luck...power...desire and ambivalence...

its worth exploring and playing with...

i cannot say i believe blindly in fate...but i do believe in a benevolent universe that puts opportunity in your path and plots for happy coincidence and blinding realization...

what can i say...it triggers warm fuzzy feelings of being looked after...

SWM
 
if one gives fate a chance...
...does one give up one's pursuit of happiness? because if you give fate a chance... then are you not waiting... and not actively pursuing?

...how does one go about pursuing happiness?
 
Fate does not exist. How many weeks have you gone without an occurrence that you can attribute to fate? The human mind is naturally set up to draw conclusions on limited information. Sometimes those conclusions are wrong.
It also tends to remember the exceptional events that occur to a person, rather than the mundane. This leads to the false notion of fate.

I myself have a very Nietzschean outlook on life.

-Dan
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Name:

"Okay honey, I won't be weird. I'll be whatever you want me to be" --Lester Burnham, American Beauty. The line at the top is a quote from the late great George Carlin. The blog itself are the ramblings of a guy in a place doing a thing. You may not always care, but you'll always be entertained. Maybe. 60% of the time, you'll enjoy it everytime.

Archives
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / June 2007 / August 2007 / December 2007 / February 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / July 2009 / January 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]