Deepayan/Uberhero/Confidence Man/Cleo/Eric/other personalities to be added later
Thursday, December 28, 2006
  Toronto
I live my life in the city
There's no easy way out
The day's moving just too fast for me
I need some time in the sunshine
I've gotta slow it right down
The day's moving just too fast for me
- Rock 'n' Roll Star, Oasis

Before I start, I forgot to put in one resolution in my list, so I'm putting it here.
My newly added resolution
Moving along; have I ever mentioned how awesome public transit is? When I go to work on the weekend, I travel about two hours on a combination of TTC and Mississauga Transit. Now, in terms of strusture, timing etc, these facilities could do with some work, most notably the Toronto Transit Crap (I dont; find Mississauga Transit all that aggravating, despite everything). Rather, public transit is awesome because it provides a real study of the human psyche. Everyone takes public transit, regardless of their age, gender, ethnicity, or intelligence. And as an interested observer, it provides a lot of interesting stories. Like this one

Two girls are sitting on the bus. One girl is showing off her phone to another.
Girl 1:
This phone cost me 4 bills, yo
Me (thinking): 4 bills? Is that 4 dollars? No, those aren't bills. 20 Dollars? 400 Dollars? I think that's it
Girl 2: Yo, you paid 400 times what that phone's worth, yo, cause that phone is worth zero dollars
Me (thinking): You gotta be kidding me. Seriously. You can't be serious.
Girl 1: Isn't it 400 times 1?
Girl 2: It's not 400 times 0? I'm pretty sure 400 times 0 is 400
Me (thinking): Ah hell.
Girl 1 throws random insult at Girl 2's phone as I bang my head on the pole over the sad state of elementary math education in Canada
Girl 2:
That's right, my phone is free cause it's priceless, yo! It's pp. Priceless, yo, it's pp, priceless.
Me (thinking): I'm going to tune out of this conversation now before they say something stupid science-related and my brain explodes

Of course, the flipside is that you sometimes end up standing on a crowded bus next to a pissed-off pixie arguing with her boyfriend on the phone, like I was another day. My bus trip was about 20 minutes; she was on the phone with her boyfriend before the bus arrived, was on the phone during the entire trip, and continued to be on the phone as I got off. The gist of her argument? Why her boyfriend couldn't spare two minutes to talk to her.
Aaaaand that's all I can come up with for now. Enjoy!
 
Comments:
i've always had issues with 'sauga transit...less so with the TTC. but i suppose its because i'm terribly impatient and waiting for 30 minutes to get somewhere in the suburbs just isn't my idea of fun anymore.

-SWM
 
it makes me sad...
... i used to have fun making fun of "stupid americans"

...but when i look at the generations (maybe not the immediate ones) that follow ours...

...man do i feel shame...

SHAME!
 
And here's my transit story:

I was on a Finch buss standing behind a white guy with a shaved head that looked, or was trying to look, "pimping". In that way where he had a white fur coat, 3 silver/gold/possibly fake rings, and a huge diamond encrusted watch that makes anything tacky look like a painting in the Louvre.

The guy, lets call him pseudo-pimp, is talking on a cell phone to some fella on the other end. I can't make out what's being said with too much clarity, but there are a few words I can catch:
"...ya, I just got out of court... no it wasn't anything... some girl charged me for something... no I didn't do anything... no... no... you wanna meet up... no... alright man I'll see you later..."

Pseudo-pimp hangs up the phone and begins dialling a number, it connects:
"Hey there shorty... it's me [pseudo-pimp]... ... I said it's me [pseudo-pimp]... ya, ya, we met on Saturday... ya... listen do you want to meet up, I'm going to be downtown... ya we can meet up for lunch... come on... come on... let me take you out... come on... oh, I just got out of this thing... oh nothing... come on... just for a quick lunch, you have to have lunch right?... come on... I'm coming from court... oh come on... come on... just for lunch... come on... come on... for lunch... come on... come on..."

The bus arrived at Finch station, so I got up and left.

-Dan
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Name:

"Okay honey, I won't be weird. I'll be whatever you want me to be" --Lester Burnham, American Beauty. The line at the top is a quote from the late great George Carlin. The blog itself are the ramblings of a guy in a place doing a thing. You may not always care, but you'll always be entertained. Maybe. 60% of the time, you'll enjoy it everytime.

Archives
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / June 2007 / August 2007 / December 2007 / February 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / July 2009 / January 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]