Deepayan/Uberhero/Confidence Man/Cleo/Eric/other personalities to be added later
Sunday, December 18, 2005
  Stiff students part 1
This is actually a story I began a while back, but discarded when i realized it was not really going anywhere. Now, with a few tweaks, I think it is good enough to be completed. As to whether or nto it will actually be completed...well, time will tell. It may not be an epic with boy wizards and orcs, but it's more my type of tale; gritty psychological study of human character. Kind of. I'll shut up now; enjoy the tale

P.S: Apologies for spelling errors and crappy title.
---

Lights will guiiiiiide you home
and igniiiiiite your bones
and I will try to fix you

Click. David turned his system off and swivelled his chair just as his old friend stepped in through the open doorway. He brushed off his cap and grinned at David
"Coldplay? You're getting soft, man. What's next, chick flicks?"
"Actually, I caught an early screening of Brokeback Mountain already. Does that constitute as a chick flick?"
"If I want to go see it, it is not a chick flick"
"If you wish it was your life story, it is most definitely a chick flick"
"What? What's wrong with wanting to be married to Anne Hathaway?"
"Oooh, extramarital affair thoughts. Don't they fire you for those kinds of things?"
Jonathan rolled his eyes "I wanted to be a priest. Emphasis on wanted. past tense. Besides, what would she have with me? I am not the one who has saved her from dangerous stalkers"
"You're dean of one of the most prestigious unviersities in the world. Some very attractive women find that kind of intellect quite stimulating"
"I'm sure. I'm also sure those same women would be repulsed at my total befuddlement should I find myself in the streets of Cairo looking for a father who has made away with his daughter"
"That's what I'm around for. Speaking of which, " David waved at one of the two chairs facing him and leaned forward, "Explain what made you remember me after so many months"
Jonathan--he was stringent about being addressed as Jonathan, abhorring the common shortening to Johnny that people tended to do--took off his coat and took a chair slightly to David's right.
"Actually," Jonathan began, "I was wondering if you were willing to offer your services to the University"
"You got my attention. I'm hoping this is about the murder case making its rounds in the papers, cause otherwise you're in deeper excretion than it looks on the surface"
Jonathan grinned at David's deft sidestep of swearing "No worries, that's the only non-academic issue I'm facing. But I could use some help"
"Aren't the police on it?"
Jonathan spread his hands in an exasperated gesture "Have you ever worked with the police? Most of them view the University of Toronto as either a hulking monolith akin to Clarke's vision in Space Odyssey, or a group of pretentious dirtbags to be despised. Either way, they're no help"
Now it was David's turn to grin "Well well. The University now comes to me for help. This is something I never saw coming. Everyone else agree to this?"
"What they don't know won't hurt them" Jonathan said with a sly smile.
David leaned forward "Alright. Tell me about this murder then"
 
Comments:
David Naylor? :D
 
I was thinking someone more...manly.
I somehow can't picture David Naylor as an ex-bounty hunter :P
But that's just me.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Name:

"Okay honey, I won't be weird. I'll be whatever you want me to be" --Lester Burnham, American Beauty. The line at the top is a quote from the late great George Carlin. The blog itself are the ramblings of a guy in a place doing a thing. You may not always care, but you'll always be entertained. Maybe. 60% of the time, you'll enjoy it everytime.

Archives
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / June 2007 / August 2007 / December 2007 / February 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / July 2009 / January 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]